I recently got my hands on the all new Apple’s Airpods. My initial reaction to the Keynote was disbelief as I couldn’t believe how ridiculous was the same lackluster design and how bad it looked once you wore them. I even was concerned how will the Airpods that dangles off the user’s ears even stay in place if I go for a run or workout in the gym.
Tim Cook reaffirmed on Good Morning America that it would stay on as most of the Bluetooth rivals fell off because of the wires that connect the two ear pods. But it also became the butt of all jokes, Conan created a commercial reminiscing the old iPod commericial with U2 showing how easily it’d fall off and people would be waiting in line to buy their second, third and fourth one.
I Was So Wrong
I got hold of my Airpods a few days ago and I must say the packing was so small and squarish and made with the standard white cardboard box. I was expecting a more luxurious kind of unboxing considering how Apple made a big deal out of it. But once I dug in and picked up the white capsule, there was a assuring “heft” to it. It was thing elegant looking solid piece that carried the most complex tech in the consumer space. I opened up the capsule with my thumb and Voila!, in a snap it just flicked and the Airpods just instantly activated a pop up on my iPhone 7 Plus. Thanks to the W1 chip, this was the most insane pairing I’ve ever done! This was a delightful moment right from the start.
- The audio quality was good and was way better than what I was anticipating for.
- The Airpods didn’t fall off during my workout as anticipated and I believe it was the way the entire weight distribution was laid out especially more towards the stem area.
- Placing the Airpods back was so smooth as it has magnets placed inside the case for the stem to go and charge. It felt more of a suction than a magnet. Still impressive.
- The Airpods magically get connected to rest of my iOS and OS X devices.
- Airpods pauses your music if you take one of the pods off and will resume upon placing them back in your ear.
- The microphone quality was superb and felt right at home.
The way W1 chip has been incorporated into the Airpods should be the way every device should work from now on! Its a decree!
Remove the complexity and just focus on making things work. In terms of audio, i am not an audiophile but I can tell you that these nuggets give you enough boom and sounds for you to enjoy your music or your call. If you are an Apple iPhone user and have invested in their ecosystem, you should get these.